I love this homemade Instant Pot Tomato Soup. A nice warm bowl of tomato soup is such a great comfort food, and this recipe doesn’t disappoint. It’s full of absolutely delicious flavors and spices. It’s a little sweet and creamy and crunchy with the grilled cheese croutons. You’ll be in soup heaven!
This soup is easy to make, comes together quickly, and everyone will be glad you made it. It’s perfect for weekend lunches, or dinner on those chilly nights. It is also freezer friendly with one change so take note of that awesome option!! We promise, this one will be a favorite!
So let the rain and/or snow fall, pull on the fuzzy socks and let’s make a batch of this amazing soup. I can practically hear the fire crackling now!
How to Make Instant Pot Tomato Florentine Soup
This is one of the few recipes that we make that have more than just a couple ingredients! Hold onto your hats though as it is worth it.
Step one: In the bottom of the Instant pot with the setting on ‘SAUTE’ melt one tablespoon of butter. Add chopped onion and celery and saute until golden brown.
Step two: Add the finely chopped Spinach and parsley. Cook until wilted and a little brown. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
Step three: Turn SAUTE setting off, and add the fresh thyme.
Step four: Stir in chicken broth, stewed tomatoes, tomato puree, and tomato paste. Stir well until the tomato paste is melted into the soup. Add water, and stir.
Step five: Add the Italian seasoning, oregano, brown sugar, coarse ground garlic salt, seasoned salt and pepper. Stir well to blend all ingredients. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure the pressure valve is set to SEAL.
Step six: Press the SOUP setting on your Instant pot, and let the soup cook. When the Instant pot is done, it will beep. Let the soup sit in for another ten minutes and do a quick release by turning the pressure valve to VENT. Make sure you use a pot holder or oven mitt to turn the valve so you don’t burn yourself with the steam. When all the pressure has been released, and the float valve drops down, remove the lid and stir.
Step seven: Add the cream and stir well. Add the minced garlic and stir.
How to Make Croutons
While the soup is cooking, make the croutons. You can alternatively, make our Homemade Croutons as well. Both work great for this recipe.
Step one: In a bowl, combine the softened butter, olive oil, garlic salt, and smashed garlic. Blend all together, and spread on one side of each slice of bread.
Step two: In a skillet, place the bread, buttered side down, and sprinkle cheese on top. Place another piece of bread, buttered side up on top of the cheese.
Step three: Cook the grilled cheese until golden brown on both sides. Remove from skillet, and place on a cutting board. Cut the grilled cheese into large crouton-sized pieces, and serve on the side.
Can You Freeze Instant Pot Tomato Florentine Soup
Yep! There is one caveat though. If you know you are going to freeze it, I would leave out the cream. It is easy enough to add the cream when you defrost and reheat it later. Sometimes, the cream just doesn’t freeze that well.
Place the cooled soup in gallon sized freezer safe Ziploc bags. Press the air out and lay flat in the freezer on sheet pans until frozen. Make sure to label them.
To defrost, take out the night before and heat up in a stove top pot (and add the cream you left out!) and serve.
More Soups To Enjoy!
Crockpot Black Bean Soup – This hearty, quick and inexpensive meal is a hit in the colder months or when you need to stretch a dollar without sacrificing flavor. Adding rice is optional.
White Bean Soup – This is a great filling soup that is chock-full of protein thanks to the beans. This can be made in no time and is easily frozen for reheating later.
Minestrone Soup – This is a classic recipe that pleases everyone. You can easily leave the noodles out and make it into a freezer meal.
Vitamix Pumpkin Soup – This yummy fall soup will shock you with the burst of flavor created from the use of oven roasted vegetables. This freezer friendly soup is great for those busy fall nights as it can simply be reheated in the microwave.
Instant Pot Tomato Florentine Soup
- Instant Pot
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 3 stems celery washed and chopped
- 1 cup spinach leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian Parsley finely chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme fresh
- 1 tbsp ground oregano
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp coarse ground garlic salt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes 14.5 oz cans, chopped
- 1 can tomato puree 28 oz can
- 1 can tomato paste 6 oz can
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
Grilled Cheese Crouton
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic minced and smashed
- 6 slices bread
- Colby Jack Cheese
Instant Pot Tomato Soup
- Gather all the ingredients.
- In the bottom of the Instant pot with the setting on 'SAUTE' melt 1 Tablespoon of butter, and add the chopped onion, and celery, and saute until golden brown.
- Add the finely chopped Spinach and parsley, and cook until wilted and a little brown.
- Turn SAUTE setting off, and add the fresh Thyme.
- Stir in the chicken broth, and add the stewed tomatoes, tomato puree, and tomato paste, and stir well until tomato paste is melted into soup. Add the water, and stir.
- Add the Italian seasoning, oregano, brown sugar, coarse ground garlic salt, seasoned salt, and seasoned pepper. Stir well to blend all ingredients.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, and make sure the pressure valve is set to 'SEALING'. Press the SOUP setting on your Instant pot, and let the soup cook.
- When the Instant pot is done, beeps, and goes to OFF, let the soup sit in the Instant pot for 10 minutes, then do a quick release, by turning the pressure valve to 'VENTING' – making sure you use a pot holder or oven mitt to turn the valve. When all the pressure has been released, and the float valve is down, remove the lid to the Instant pot, and stir the soup.
- Add the cream, and stir well, and add the minced garlic and stir.
Grilled Cheese Croutons
- While the soup is cooking, make the croutons.
- In a bowl, combine the softened butter, olive oil, garlic salt, and smashed garlic. Blend all together, and spread on one side of each slice of bread.
- In a non-stick skillet, place the bread, buttered side down, and sprinkle cheese on the bread, as much, or as little as desired.
- Place another piece of bread, buttered side up on top of the cheese.
- Cook the grilled cheese until golden brown on both sides. Remove from skillet, and place on a cutting board. Cut grilled cheese into large crouton size pieces, and serve on the side, with the soup.