Break open your Instant Pot! Making Instant Pot Eggnog couldn’t be easier and tastes so delicious you will never go back to the carton variety!
I love that you can practically make just about anything in an instant pot if you know how to use the various settings! It’s seriously the most ingenious all-in-one kitchen appliance. I kick myself time and time again for not embracing it earlier!
This is such an easy recipe that you will be able to make it in just a few minutes for a party. My husband suggested that if you were going to a party, you could bring everything with you and whip it up when you arrive. That would work beautifully.
Step one: Set the trivet on the bottom of the Instant Pot and pour in 5 cups of water. Turn it on to sauté and bring the water to a boil.
Step two: While the water is boiling, crack 6 eggs into your blender. Any old blender works here. Whip them in the blender. Pour the remaining ingredients into the blender and blend well.
Step three: Once the water in the Instant Pot comes to boil, place the 1.5 quart Pyrex bowl into the Instant Pot on the trivet. The water will come up around about ⅓ – ½ of the bowl. Pour the egg mixture in the bowl.
Note: Pyrex can handle being immersed into the boiling water. Don’t try this with any old glass bowl. It might very well crack on you. Also, the 1.5 quart pyrex bowl fits inside the Instant Pot with about ¼” to spare. It is a tight fit! I just served the eggnog hot by ladeling it out of the Pyrex.
Step four: Attach a candy thermometer as you will need to heat this without the lid on until it reaches 160 degrees. While the eggnog mixture is in the bowl, gently stir it with a whisk as you don’t want anything to clump or settle. This only takes a few minutes to reach temperature.
Once it reaches 160 degrees, you are ready to serve.
As I noted above, the biggest tip for this recipe is to make sure you use glass that is safe for cooking like Pyrex. Please don’t use a generic brand as you never know what it will do under high heat.
Add a bit of cinnamon to your mix for added spice!
‼️ Meal Prep Tips
There is always something to do to prepare food ahead of time!
- Prep the Instant Pot so all you have to do the next day is to press the saute button and allow the water to come to boil.
- Prep the eggnog mixture either by pre-measuring out the ingredients and putting in the fridge until you are ready to blend or making the entire batch and keep it sealed in the refrigerator in the blender jar. Then, when you are ready, re-attach it to the blender and give it a couple of zaps and pour into the Instant Pot.
These couple of steps will save you so much time when you are hosting a party or event and want to pay attention to family and friends!
🥄 How to Serve Eggnog
You can choose to serve eggnog hot or cold. Your choice! Both ways are correct! I prefer it nice and warm. Add a little bit of booze to it if you would like. That definitely will warm you up!
If you are going to serve it with alcohol, pour one cup of eggnog with ½ tbsp of dark rum. You can also use bourbon or cognac. Mix it up and try out what you like! Since it’s the holidays, make sure to top it with some whipped topping, and a dash of nutmeg or cinnamon as well! Go ahead, we give you permission!
🥣 How Long Does it Last in the Refrigerator
You can store this for about two to three days. That is, if it lasts that long!
⏲️ How Can You Tell if it has Gone Bad?
Recipes made with raw eggs risk salmonella if not prepared properly. That is the reason to make sure that the temperature of the eggnog reaches 160 degrees. If you store this in the fridge, look for a lumpy consistency or a sour smell. Spoon University wrote a great article that goes into more detail. They are suggesting just 2-3 days at most for homemade eggnog.
🍋 Related Recipes
Crockpot Christmas Coffee – This is a staple for us as we are huge coffee drinkers, especially over the holidays! I love the feeling of sipping on a special drink coffee drink while the fire is going and my fuzzy socks are warming my feet! This one is perfect for cookie exchanges and office parties.
Crockpot Caramel Lattes – This is a great recipe when you really want to impress the guests! Who doesn’t want a caramel latte at home? Drizzled with sweet caramel over whipped cream just makes it dreamy to me! Now if it would just snow so I can enjoy it!
Instant Pot Egg Nog
- Instant Pot
- 6 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Place trivet in pot, along with 5 cups of water.
- Turn on sauté setting and bring to a boil.
- Add eggs to a blender and bend until they are fully broken up into a homogenous mixture, about 15 seconds. Add sugar and blend until combined.
- Finally, add milk, cream, vanilla, nutmeg, and salt.
- Blend for about 30 seconds, until all combined.
- Pour eggnog into a 1.5 quart pyrex dish.
- Place pyrex dish on top of trivet.
- Water should come up about halfway on the sides.
- Whisk eggnog frequently while water comes back up to a boil. Once the eggnog reaches 150 degrees, switch Instant Pot to “keep warm” setting. Continue mixing frequently until the eggnog reaches 160 degrees.
- Then transfer to an airtight container and chill overnight or serve hot by ladeling from the pyrex.