Dump cake recipes are just about the easiest kind of cake you can make. Just dump everything in, slide it into the oven and in under an hour you have a deliciously amazing dump cake with gooey bits, specs of cake dust (how awesome is that?) and a crumbly top.
Buuuuuttt…. What bothers me about most dump cake recipes is that they don’t have any frosting. Yes, I know I can just frost it myself with a can of frosting from the store. But the appeal of dump cakes is that they’re supposed to be effortless.
So I thought long and hard about what would make an ideal and effortless frosting-like topping for my spiced apple dump cake and then it hit me – MARSHMALLOWS. They fit perfectly into the “dump” cake theme because literally all I have to do is dump them on top. That’s it! No additional effort needed. The marshmallows create a perfectly gooey topping that rounds out the cake nicely.
Marshmallow Apple Pie Spice Dump Cake Recipe
(Printable version at the end of the post)
- 1 Box Spice cake mix
- 10.oz bag of mini marshmallows
- 1 can of apple pie filling
- 1 stick of melted butter (not pictured)
Preheat oven to 350. 1. In a greased casserole dish, pour can of apple pie filling and distribute evenly across bottom with a spoon. 2. Sprinkle powdered cake mixture over apple pie filling. Sprinkle evenly. Be sure to get the edges. 3. Pour melted butter over powdered mixture. Try to distribute evenly. It will clump in some areas. This is normal. 4. Bake for 45 minutes. (This is what it looks like after it’s baked) 5. Remove from oven. Sprinkle mini marshmallows over top. 6. Place back in oven and broil for 30 to 45 seconds. (Be ready and waiting with an oven mitt to remove from oven. Mine got a bit crispy just in the time it took me to find an oven mitt!) Wait 10 minutes to serve. I served with pumpkin spice coffee. Note: When serving, the marshmallows will rebel against you and try to lift up. You can just pull it back into place while serving if it bothers you. This is not meant to be a *pretty* cake. It will be ugly. The marshmallow will stick to your lips. There will still be powdery bits from the cake mix. And all of the things that make this cake *ugly* are what makes it kick any pretty cake’s butt.
Marshmallow Apple Dump Cake
- 9x13 pan
- 2/3 box spice cake mix
- 5 oz mini marshmallows maybe a little less
- 1 can apple pie filling
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a greased casserole dish, pour can of apple pie filling and distribute evenly across bottom with a spoon.
- Sprinkle powdered cake mixture over apple pie filling. Sprinkle evenly. Be sure to get the edges.
- Pour melted butter over powdered mixture. Try to distribute evenly. It will clump in some areas. This is normal.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with mini marshmallows over top.
- Sprinkle with mini marshmallows.
- Place back in oven and broil for 30-45 seconds. Be ready and waiting with an oven mitt as it goes very fast!