Updated February 2020 -Dump cake recipes are just about the easiest kind of cake you can make. Just dump everything in, slide it into the oven and in under an hour you have a deliciously amazing dump cake with gooey bits, specs of cake dust (how awesome is that?) and a crumbly top. This Apple Pie Spiced Dump Cake is the BOMB! It will blow you away with ease of 4 ingredients and flavor!
Buuuuuttt…. What bothers me about most dump cake recipes is that they don’t have any frosting. Yes, I know I can just frost it myself with a can of frosting from the store. But the appeal of dump cakes is that they’re supposed to be effortless.
So I thought long and hard about what would make an ideal and effortless frosting-like topping for my spiced apple dump cake and then it hit me – MARSHMALLOWS. They fit perfectly into the “dump” cake theme because literally all I have to do is dump them on top. That’s it! No additional effort needed. The marshmallows create a perfectly gooey topping that rounds out the cake nicely.
Do You Need To Refrigerate A Dump Cake?
I recommend refrigerating it. Once you have it baked, let it cool completely and store it in the fridge. I find it lasts longer and I definitely err on the side of being safe.
Can A Dump Cake Be Frozen?
It actually can be! If you can’t eat it all within a couple of days, just add slices to a freezer-proof container and store it in your freezer for up to three months. It will thaw out easily and still have that same delicious taste and flavor that you love. Don’t forget to label it. Sign up below and I’ll email free editable freezer labels. You’ll never forget what is in the container, and you’ll include directions on how to reheat it.
What Will Reheated Marshmallows Taste Like?
The cool thing about marshmallows is that they reheat quite well. They will poof up when they’re reheating. Once they cool down, they will deflate. It’s really, really cool to watch. Make sure your kids watch it.
The taste is the same and they will be their normal gooey self.
Where Does The Term “Dump Cake” Come From?
It’s literally called that because you take all the ingredients and “dump” them to combine. And honestly, it’s a beautiful way to make a delicious recipe. It is the fastest type of recipe to prepare as there is no premixing, cutting, cooking. Just literally dump and go! That is music to my ears!
Tips For Making This Recipe
Keep in mind that this recipe is super simple to make but there are a few things to remember.
- If your marshmallows are a bit stale, that’s okay. Once you add them on top of the cake mix and cook them, they’ll be good to go. I would love to understand the science behind this…but, I just know that it works!
- To spice up this spice cake (see what I did there?) 😃 add in a bit of additional cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. These fall spices will really take the cake to a whole new level. Start with just a little bit and adjust from there.
- My biggest tip of all for this simple dessert recipe? Make it together with your family and have some fun time bonding in the kitchen. A family that bakes together is certain to laugh together and enjoy each and every bite!
- 1 Box Spice cake mix
- 10.oz bag of mini marshmallows
- 1 can of apple pie filling
- 1 stick of melted butter (not pictured)
Making the Dump Cake
I served this with pumpkin spice coffee just to REALLY get into the fall mood.
Note: When serving, the marshmallows will rebel against you and try to lift up. You can just pull it back into place while serving if it bothers you. This is not meant to be a *pretty* cake. It will be ugly. The marshmallow will stick to your lips. There will still be powdery bits from the cake mix. And all of the things that make this cake *ugly* are what makes it kick any pretty cake’s butt.
Marshmallow Apple Dump Cake
- 9×13 pan
- 2/3 box spice cake mix
- 5 oz mini marshmallows maybe a little less
- 1 can apple pie filling
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a greased casserole dish, pour can of apple pie filling and distribute evenly across bottom with a spoon.
- Sprinkle powdered cake mixture over apple pie filling. Sprinkle evenly. Be sure to get the edges.
- Pour melted butter over powdered mixture. Try to distribute evenly. It will clump in some areas. This is normal.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with mini marshmallows over top.
- Sprinkle with mini marshmallows.
- Place back in oven and broil for 30-45 seconds. Be ready and waiting with an oven mitt as it goes very fast!
If you liked this recipe, try other dump cake ideas
Mixed Berry Dump Cake – If you like the apple pie dump cake, you need to try this one too! It is soooo soft and gooey that it will be a family favorite.