This quick and easy homemade spaghetti sauce recipe makes a thick and chunky vegan pasta sauce. Get this family-loved dinner on the table in under thirty minutes with this simple recipe.Homemade Vegan Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
The onions and peppers in this spaghetti sauce are minced into super tiny pieces, to give a consistency that’s reminiscent of a traditional meat sauce. I bet you don’t even miss the meat in this one.
If you’re a fan of chunky and hearty spaghetti sauces, but don’t want to use something like TVP or ground crumbles every time, this recipe will be perfect for you.
Tips for Making this Vegan Spaghetti Sauce
- It’s freezer friendly. Just wait until it cools down, and freeze it in an airtight container. I’ve kept it in my freezer for about a month before with no issues. Another tip, if you’re planning on freezing this sauce, maybe double the recipe to get more mileage out of your time.
- The smaller the better. Mince the onion and pepper into very small pieces. As they cook down, they’ll get even smaller and make a nice hearty sauce that is kind of reminiscent of a traditional meat sauce.
- Enhance the flavors. If you have the time, simmer it low and slow to bring out the flavors even more. Just be sure to add a bit more water every now and then to prevent it from drying out. Stir periodically to stop it from burning.
- Use Fresh Tomatoes. Substitute the canned tomatoes with fresh tomatoes. I especially like fresh roma tomatoes.
- Breadsticks. I recommend making some homemade breadsticks to go with this dish. Super Delish!
This recipe makes six cups of spaghetti sauce. I like my spaghetti a little on the drier side, so I don’t pour on tons of sauce over the noodles. Each serving of sauce is 1/2 a cup, which also makes this super light on calories.
Obviously, when you serve it with pasta the calorie count will increase about 200-ish calories. But overall, not too shabby for a pasta dinner!This recipe would be GREAT in “meatball” subs, casseroles and my personal favorite…spinach lasagna roll ups.
Homemade Vegan Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
This quick and easy homemade spaghetti sauce recipe makes a thick and chunky vegan pasta sauce. Get dinner on the table in under thirty minutes with this simple recipe.
- 2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Large Yellow Onion minced
- 1 Large Green Bell Pepper minced
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 28 oz. Can Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 cup of water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add onion and green bell pepper. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Saute for five minutes.
- Add minced garlic and saute for additional two minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Mix in water. Reduce to medium low heat. Cover. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve immediately over pasta or allow to cool to room temperature then freeze into dinner sized portions.