Enjoy these homemade Air Fryer Pepperoni Pizza Wontons as an easy appetizer or as a main course. You’ll have crispy wonton wrappers, sweet tomato sauce, pepperoni, and cheesy goodness in every bite. These are crave-worthy.
Dish up these for an appetizer or a weeknight dinner. Kids and adults will love this recipe.
📌 Why This Works
- Simple Ingredients
- Versatile in what you fill the wontons with
- Crispy texture
- You can air fry or bake in the oven
- A fun appetizer or dinner
Wonton Wrappers: You can buy these pre-packaged in the market in the Asian section or make homemade ones made of wheat flour, eggs and water. We use them all the time by wrapping Mozzarella Sticks or pizza rolls.
If you eat gluten-free, you can use them for this recipe as well. They will be great and delicious no matter what.
Seasonings: We use a combination of tomato sauce with sweet basil, Italian seasonings, brown sugar, garlic, and pepper.
So the sauce is tangy, sweet, and flavored with the best Italian flavors. Honestly, the sauce is so good I could eat it by the spoonful.
Meat and Cheese: We love the combination of pepperoni and Colby Jack cheese. They are so incredible together, and combined with the sauce it’s crave-worthy.
You could use regular pepperoni or even turkey pepperoni, depending on your diet and preferences.
Step One: Add the tomato sauce to a saucepan and turn on the heat to medium. Add in the Italian seasoning, basil, garlic, brown sugar, and pepper. Simmer the pizza sauce for 10 minutes.
Step Two: Add some olive oil spray to the inside of the air fryer. Then lightly coat the wonton wrapper with olive oil.
Step Three: Add one teaspoon of the homemade pizza sauce, one slice of pepperoni, and one teaspoon of cheese. Pinch the edges together with your fingers and put it in the air fryer.
Step Four: Repeat the process until the air fryer is full. Spritz some olive oil on top and sprinkle some Italian seasoning. Cook at 350 degrees for 12 minutes. Be sure to turn halfway through.
🍲 Meal Preparation
You will be in meal prep heaven here, especially if you’ve started Meal Prep 101. You can easily whip these up and have them to munch on throughout the week. Just follow the directions and refrigerate them for up to four days. They make the perfect after-school snacks and addition to the family movie night snack tray.
For best results, reheat them in the air fryer at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until they are hot and crispy. You can also microwave them, but they don’t hold up as well.
🧊 Freezer Friendly
If you are looking for a recipe that’s freezer friendly to prepare ahead of time, you found it! You can completely prepare them and cook them ahead of time.
Then after they have cooled, place them in a freezer-safe container. They can be reheated in the air fryer at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until they are hot all the way through. All our favorite freezer friendly tips can be found here.
💡 Expert Tips
- Each recipe is going to be a little bit different regarding pre-heating the air fryer.
- Be sure not to overcrowd the air fryer basket. The way the food cooks requires the air to be able to get all around. This can’t happen if the food is too close together.
- It’s vital to keep your air fryer clean. You need to be sure to clean it every time you use it. There will be lots of yucky build-up if you don’t, and this will cause it not to work as efficiently.
- You don’t need as much oil in the air fryer as you would a traditional fryer. Just a spray or two of olive oil directly on the food is all you really need. It’s a much healthier option than deep-fat frying foods. Either use the spray olive oil from the store or fill an olive oil mister up with EVOO and use that. A little goes a long way here.
- Cooking food in the air fryer is MUCH faster than baking in the oven. So, you will need to check on the food and be sure to flip it halfway through. If you don’t, it will not be able to cook evenly and won’t turn out as well.
- Minimize the mess. Use the air fryer parchment papers to help make clean up a breeze if any of the pizza rolls make a mess.
I can never get enough variety in my recipes. While I love some basics and don’t change them often, I am usually trying to think of ways to make foods different and more fun. Here are a few ideas:
- Sausage: Try some browned sausage instead of pepperoni. Sausage is a fantastic pizza topping, so it makes sense to add a little bit in. Just add 1-2 teaspoons per wonton.
- Hamburger: Another great protein is some good old ground beef. Brown it beforehand and add a teaspoon or so to the wrapper.
- Mozzarella: Exchange the Colby for some mozzarella instead. It’s a lovely combination that looks and tastes great too.
- Vegetables: Add a couple of mushrooms, some sautéed onions, or even some bell peppers. You really can’t go wrong by adding in some extra stuff. Just don’t add much, or they will be too full.
🧅 Recipe FAQs
Wonton wrappers and egg roll wrappers are made from the same dough. They are different sizes, but can be interchanged if you need.
You need to spritz them with oil, as it will help to give the wrappers a golden crispy texture. If you don’t, you will find the wrappers stay pale.
Absolutely! Go right ahead and bake them in the oven. Just follow the same instructions and spritz them with oil. Just adjust the cooking time till you get a golden brown color.
If you want you can make homemade wontons. They are simple to make and a fun recipe to follow.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Air Fryer Pizza Wonton
- 1 Wonton Wrappers
- 8 oz Tomato Sauce
- 1 tsp Sweet Basil
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 tsp Brown Sugar
- ½ tsp Garlic Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 12 oz Pepperoni
- 12 oz Colby Jack shredded
- Spray Olive Oil
- Pour the tomato sauce in a saucepan and heat on medium. Add spices, and stir. Simmer the sauce for 10 minutes.
- Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil.
- Lightly spray one wonton wrapper with olive oil, add one tsp of sauce, one pepperoni, and one tsp cheese. Pinch the edges together and place it in the air fryer basket.
- When air fryer is full of wontons, spritz them lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Cook at 350 for 12 minutes, turning them halfway through.
Leave a Reply